What's your poison?

>> Monday, October 18, 2010

Lately I feel like I need to wear a gas mask when I clean the bathrooms. Because, ironically, the bathroom is about a million times smellier while I'm cleaning it than it is between cleanings. It's not the smell that's really bothering me, I guess, it's the fact that I'm sure something that something that smelly can't really be very good to be around...

So, I want to know, what do you use to clean your bathrooms?

I currently have a handy tote full of cleansers and sprays that I take from one bathroom to the next on bathroom cleaning day... Right now it's got some Fantasik bathroom spray, Lysol toilet bowl cleaner, Clorox wipes, store brand blue glass cleaner, and a bottle of The Works tub and shower spray (which I just used for the first time--not only was I worried my nose hairs were being singed by the chemical smell of it, but it didn't seem to make my shower look a bit cleaner).

I don't mind the wipes, bowl cleaner and glass cleaner so much, but I want to find a better solution for the tub and counter/sink that will get the job done without poisoning me in the process.

I've thought of trying the homemade route, but I always worry I'll go to all that work for something that either doesn't make my bathroom look clean, or doesn't actually get it clean (disinfecting all the dirt, grime, and bodily whatnots that happen in a bathroom...). Any thoughts on this?

I've thought about (but not yet seriously considered) something like the Shaklee cleaning system that professes to be both economical and safe to use. Has anyone tried this?

So, please leave a comment, tell me what you use, what you like, love (or dislike for that matter), and any other tidbit that might help me decide how to clean my bathroom without having to invest in one of these:

8 comments:

Nicole October 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

My bathrooms never get dirty - ha!

We like scrubbing bubbles for the tub... Comet cleanser for the sinks, and Windex for practically everything!

I wish I had just 1 cleaner to do the whole thing, but I haven't found one yet.

the Gardners October 18, 2010 at 8:47 PM  

Back before I got married, I had to go to my YSA leaders house to discuss future activities and my day off of work was her cleaning day. She did everything with this steam cleaner that she kept replacing the towel on with each room she went to. She even did the bathroom...started on the mirrors, then the counters, then the sinks and would finish with the toilet. I was so impressed. Everything looked awesome and she made it look easy! I wish I had the brain to ask her what the machine was because I find myself daydreaming about it now! lol

This is a great topic...I'm interested in hearing the responses. Oh, and lately my mom has been referring me to the Queen of Clean's site for everything lately. She has a lot of good info on there.

Bobbi Leavitt October 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

this might not be the exact comment you are looking for, but for the corners of my bathtub that get gross that it seems like i can never get clean by scrubbing, I soak a cottonball in bleach and stick it on the gross part and let it sit for a bit. It breaks up the dark areas and that means less scrubbing for me!

Juf October 23, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

Shaklee stuff works. I'm a big fan of their Scour Off for everything from greasy dishes (don't have a dishwasher) to random marks on white shelving.
For the rest, though, I use Ecover products. Either way, they're more expensive than the standard brands that you buy at the grocery store, but so much healthier. And better ecologically speaking as well.

Juf October 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

Another suggestion:
http://alilbird.blogspot.com/2010/09/homemade-cleaners.html

Prashanti October 27, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

I swear by Tilex mold and mildew but have to warn you - the smell is a bit strong. But it gets the job done for the shower without ANY scrubbing from my side. For everything else except mirrors, I use fantastik with oxyclean.

Amy S October 30, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

I use a mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. This mix has been proven to kill germs and disinfect and its way cheaper than buying all those cleaners. I still use bleach toilet cleaner though. I also still use windex too. It does stink like vinegar while you are cleaning but at least I know the smell isn't killing my brain cells like I feel most cleaners are and it seems to work and get the counters and sinks clean. Once the vinegar is wiped off the smell is gone. Its a crazy idea, I know, but i was getting tired of spending so much money on cleaner, especially while living on loans. :)

Serene is my name, not my life! October 31, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

I've started buying my cleaning supplies from http://www.melaleuca.com/

SOOOOOO worth it!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP