A-door-able

>> Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Sorry I've been so lazy about posting lately. I need to find a blogging rhythm I guess...

One of my favorite things in my apartment right now is a red cabinet door I have hanging on the wall above our couch. It's really cute, but I also really like it, because it makes me feel creative to have thought to hang it there. Not that I'm the first person to ever hang a door on the wall... but we'll talk more about that later.

I happened upon this door when I was wandering around the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I saw this door on top of a stack of old cabinet doors, next to a sign that said "cabinet doors 2/$5."


Then what happened can only be described as inspiration or a stroke of creative genius hit me. I looked at that door and new instantly that I wanted to buy it, and exactly what I wanted to do with it. I felt a little bad picking it up because we had just talked about how we needed to not spend much money for a little while if we could avoid it....but I was a bad girl and thought, "for $2.50 I will call this a birthday present to myself." So I bought it.

Here is the finished product:

Yeah, I didn't even bother fixing the couch cushions before I took the picture. I told you, I'm lazy sometimes.

Anyway, this project was very cheap. Here's how it added up:

$2.50--door
$0.89--paint
$0.00--varnish (already had it)
$0.50--mini barn star (thrift store)
$0.00--ribbon (had it)

Total = $3.89!!! (and it looks better in real life than it does in the picture!)

Here are some other people who use doors in their decor:

320 Sycamore: Personalized wall plaque

Nesting Place: A door above the couch.

Joys of Home: She's made LOTS of things out of doors!

If you have a post about repurposing a door of some sort, leave me a comment and I'll add it to my list here!

*******

Check out these awesome parties I'm participating in with this post:

Trash to Treasure @ Reinvented

2nd Time Around Tuesday
@ A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words

5 comments:

Unknown June 9, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

Hi Elizabeth,
You created a great look for not a lot of money! turned out great.

Thanks for linking to 2nd Time Around!

janet June 9, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

what a fantastic idea, such a great creation for little money.
hugs
janet

Jane June 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM  

Totally cute! I am excited to "meet" another blogger who lives in an apartment! A trip to the HH ReStore is on my list for this summer.

Unknown June 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM  

I love your awesome "door art!" It looks fabulous above your sofa, so architectural. Thanks for linking up to Trash to Treasure Tuesday! Have a fabulous weekend.
Kimm

Marie Reed June 16, 2009 at 4:47 AM  

It's perfect! That looks like the comfiest couch ever! I want to plp down and take a nap on it!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP