Loveseat Makeover

>> Tuesday, June 2, 2009

In April, I saw my mom coming for my husband's graduation as the PERFECT opportunity to recover a loveseat! We'd been needing more seating in our living room, and I found this wonderful fabric store, Home Fabrics, that has ridiculously cheap decorator fabric. I knew I couldn't tackle that kind of project on my own (seriously, my dresser took months, and all I was doing was painting it!)...so I got my wonderful mother to spend the spare time on her visit helping me take apart and beautify a love seat.

Now here's the part where I'm kicking myself. I hardly even want to say it. I didn't take a before picture. I meant to. I bought it off of an online classifieds website, and thought the picture might still be there when I looked later. NOPE!

So this morning I got back on the classifieds to see if I could find a picture of something equally ugly and worn. Well what I found was slightly uglier than what I bought (but pretty similar) and not nearly as worn. The loveseat I bought was kinda dirty and had spots on the arms and back where someone had tried to sew up some holes that had developed. Anyway, it looked sort of like this:

Did I mention I bought it for $25? Not too shabby.

The first order of business was unscrewing the feet, roughing them up a bit with sandpaper, and spray painting them satin black. Really, after using black spray paint in the satin finish, I know why people rave about it! It is beautiful!

Then, my main job during the project was removing staples to get the old fabric off. Luckily my mom brought this old antique looking tool that's used for something related to beekeeping...some kind of scraper... Anyway, that made removing staples A LOT easier.

We used the old fabric as a pattern for the new fabric, which I failed to mention earlier I got for $3 a yard. I KNOW. I told you it was ridiculously cheap. And it's nice thick, sturdy fabric.

Luckily, my mom did what I call the hard part: All of the brain work, and sewing. (She even made the back cushions match the shape of our couch cushions!) She said I did the hard part, the aforementioned staple removing. I also helped with cutting fabric, and putting in new staples. I know, it's like I cheated at this project, since I didn't do it by myself. Oh well, I don't feel bad about it! Because look how it turned out!!!


That piece of fabric is the original fabric. I took this picture when I realized I hadn't taken a before. I think the couch is pretty dang loverly for $50! Really, it is exaclty what I wanted! Thanks Mom, you're THE BEST!


So, somehow I completely MISSED the Goodwill party on Thrifty Decor Chick's blog yesterday. Not sure how I managed to not even know about it, since that's one of the blogs I read regularly. So I'm linking up a day late. I'm also linking to the Trash to Treasure party at Reinvented and 2nd Time Around Tuesday from A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words. Stop by those sites and check out everyone else's projects!

22 comments:

Vanessa Greenway June 2, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

Wow! You've done a great job with the loveseat! $25?? Not shabby at all! It is looking great! Lucky you!

Caroline June 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM  

It turned out great! I guess Nicole's couch is next in line for Mom's services :)

Love Mom's socks by the way!

Elizabeth June 2, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

Okay, I cropped the socks out. I had let her borrow them because her feet were cold, but they didn't exactly match!

KayC. June 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

It turned out great! I wish that I had the talent or brave enough to tackle such a job. I have two chairs just waiting to be recovered!

Unknown June 2, 2009 at 9:19 AM  

Wow, that's one impressive makeover! Can I borrow your Mom? Thanks for linking up, hope to see you again next week!
Kimm

Monica June 2, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

Wow!That turned out beautiful!I need a new sofa and if I new how to do that I could save a lot of money!Thanks for sharing!

Unknown June 2, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

Oh my goodness does that look lovely! Great transformation! But the price is what makes it even more special. Great accomplishment. I'm so glad to have come across your blog. Please visit my blog and be sure to click the "follow" if you like what you see.

Melissa June 2, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

That looks great! I'm glad you had help for such a large project.

bj June 2, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

It looks absolutely fabulous..I have 2 chairs and an ottoman that need recovering so whenever you and your mom can come help me, just let me know ! *tee hee...

Jane June 2, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

Amazing! Really amazing! It looks brand new!

Unknown June 2, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

That is down right impressive! Great job!

Cass @ That Old House June 2, 2009 at 11:08 AM  

I am so impressed - you have fulfilled one of the things on my "bucket list" --- to recover an old sofa! I haven't had the nerve to attempt it yet, but WOW you and your Mom did an amazing job. The re-newed loveseat looks fantastic.

And your Mom says you did the hardest part taking out the staples? Aren't Moms just the kindest souls? :-)

Great inspiration! I've got an old loveseat languishing upstairs. . . Cass

The Quintessential Magpie June 2, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

Oh, what a great makeover, and what a sweet mom you have! Love the loveseat and the cute pic of you all on it!

Happy Second Time Tuesday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Maridith June 2, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

Great job!! That is a huge undertaking and one that I am afraid of. I have two wing back chairs that I need to recover but I haven't found the courage!!

Karen Valentine June 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

Wow, slipcovers are not easy and yours looks terrific! Aren't mom's great?? I slipcovers all over my house. I love being able to just take them off and throw in the wash!

Karen

Nicole June 2, 2009 at 6:17 PM  

I hope mine's next in line, we need an update on the couch cover we made over a year ago, and your couch looks perfect!

Anonymous,  June 3, 2009 at 6:25 AM  

Wow, that turned out gorgeous! Moms are the best when it comes to tackling big projects!

Lady Katherine June 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

You and Mom did a wonderful job! I got a few to do tackle Oh, One day! lol My daughter is about your age and she brought home a love seat that has a hide a bed in it, she going to put it in her 3 years old room, or the 4 year old. She picked it up off the side of the road! I need to send here to see yours!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest June 3, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

Nice Mom! It came out really great!

Manuela

The Wood Family November 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM  

I am impressed with you every time I get on here - you are amazing! I wish I would have taken advantage of you more when we were next door neighbors - I keep thinking of ideas of things I want to do, and I wish I could run across the hall and grab you!!!!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP