Table painting advice

>> Monday, August 10, 2009

This is our little table and chairs. Pardon the mess and the poor photography. The mess I can explain. We found a great, cute apartment, that has so many things that we love about it. Especially the things our last apartment was lacking: dishwasher, washer and dryer, 3 big walk in closets, and almost twice the amount of space!

Maybe you could call us inexperienced, or even dumb, but we decided we'd be okay to go ahead and sign up for the apartment without seeing our actual unit. Between schedules of the apartment people (putting in new carpet, yay!) and us going on vacation, we weren't able to see it, but we'd seen another unit and the complex earlier on and really liked it, so....

Unfortunately, we ended up in an apartment that apparently had reeeeally dirty people living in it before. Even our super sweet neighbors (thank goodness for good neighbors!) described them as "trashy". What this boils down to is our apartment had bugs in it when we moved in. Yeah. I'm still disgusted and a bit angry when I think about it. And I still haven't unpacked anything in my kitchen. I'm still a little iffy on whether I want to put anything in there just yet.

Anyway, that's the explanation of why we've got a lovely plastic shelf full of dishes and food in our dining room, and cups stacked all over the table.

So, back to the table. I bought this table planning on painting the bottom of it black. Not so into forrest green. The wood on top is pretty, but I kind of prefer a lighter finish than this is. I've also thought about painting the bottom a creamy white and refinishing the top lighter. I recently saw a blog post on one of my friend's blogs where she painted her entire table black, and I also really liked that! Oh what to do, what to do!

Please give me your opinion!! Leave a comment telling me which option you prefer. Pretty pretty please, please leave me a comment, I really need some advice, because I'd like to do this project soon! Here are the choices:

1. Bottom painted black. Chairs left as is.

2. Bottom painted black. Chairs painted black.

3. Options 1 or 2, plus top refinished in a lighter stain.

4. Entire table painted black, including chairs.

5. Bottom painted creamy white, chairs as is.

6. Bottom painted creamy white, chairs paited creamy white.

7. Options 5 or 6, plus top refinished in a lighter stain.

I know, there are a lot of choices! This is why I need your help! I really appreciate any comments or thoughts you have on the topic (even if it's really short, a la "#3" and that's it)! THANKS!

4 comments:

Alyssa August 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

I'm not very good at picturing what things will look like afterward, but here is my opinion:

Whatever color you paint the legs of the table I would also paint the chairs. And I think you should do a lighter stain on the wood on top. I don't know what the rest of your furniture is like so I couldn't tell you whether I like black or creamy white better, but I am sure either one would look great!

Good luck :)

kira August 11, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

I think you should paint everything black. Good luck! I'm planning to paint some furniture soon, too. Sorry about your bug infested apartment. That's awful!

Caroline August 11, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

I vote for #2...Show'em the fireplace, then they'll agree :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP