Desk Chair Update

>> Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wow, it's almost been 2 weeks since I posted last. Sorry, I guess a week of posting was not enough to get me back in the groove... try, try again!

You may remember I mentioned here that I wanted to recover my desk chair. This wouldn't really be considered trash to treasure, since it was really trash before. What I started out with was our blue cheapest-chair-they-sell-at-Office-Depot office chair. I forgot to take a before picture, so found one on OfficeDepot.com.


Mine was a little more worn and a lot less shiny than this one by the time I did this project! The only real problem with our chair was the fact that it was blue, and nothing in my house except my son's room is blue, so it was just a little out of place.

The first thing I did was take the chair apart and remove the staples. This was harder than I expected. There were a LOT of staples for such a small piece of furniture, and they were in there good! Once I got those out I realized I needed to hit up Hobby Lobby for my first ever can of spray adhesive. This is an important step. At least for my particular chair, since the cushions have a bit of a curve to them and if I just pulled the material tight it wouldn't stay in the curve without a little help. So I used the spray adhesive to stick some extra batting on the back, and to stick the fabric to the batting.


Once you've got it all stuck on, it's time to turn it over and staple!


Lastly, you just have to re-assemble your chair, and viola!


I was kind of afraid that stripe would be a little too crazy looking, and perhaps it would have looked better if I had done the whole chair out of the green loveseat fabric, but you know what? I like the stripe! I think it gives it a little character. And my husband likes it too, which is always good.

I'm linking this post to DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land. There are always tons of cool posts there, so go check them out!

DIY Day @ ASPTL

4 comments:

Anonymous,  August 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

It turned out wonderfully! And I'm with you, I love the stripes!

Caroline August 27, 2009 at 9:02 PM  

Way cute! I like the stripes! When do we get to see some cornice board action? :)

Lauranie August 29, 2009 at 9:40 PM  

I love the stripes too!! If you are interested...Random Charm has started a flicker group for office chairs make overs...you should submit yours!! I am going to do mine when I get a minute to actually finish it!! :) Here is the link to the Flickr group:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/random-charm/sets/72157621940859027/
I guess you would need to copy and paste....sorry!

Paz123 September 11, 2009 at 4:29 AM  

That chair turned out really very beautiful. Well, I too just got a new computer chair from Office Depot.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP