Thirteen dollar renter's mantle

>> Wednesday, August 12, 2009

We moved into our new apartment two weeks ago today. It's got some really nice features like crown molding and a wood-burning fireplace in the living room.

The only negative in the living room was that our fireplace didn't have a mantle...it was just a little bare. Well, kind of a lot bare. Here's the before picture:

Pardon the mess...this is the day of or day after moving in.

I knew as soon as we walked into our apartment for the first time that I wanted to put a shelf above the fireplace, as a mantle.

I was so lucky to have my mom and my sister here to help me the first few days I after I moved in. They did all kinds of unpacking, and helping me hang pictures and whatnot. Thanks for the help!

We also did a little shopping at Hobby Lobby, and found the perfect brackets to hang a shelf with! Before choosing these we considered two other options, including scroll-y wrought iron, and fancy looking resin fleur de lis type thingies. I liked all of them, but thought the chunky wooden ones were more my style. They were in the window treatment section, and were 30% off, making them $4 apiece!

{Sorry, I took a close up of the bracket, but blogger won't let me upload it for some reason. I'll try again later}

We bought a 1x8 for $5 at Home Depot, and my mom routed the edge to make it look a little nicer than just a plain board. We painted all 3 pieces with black paint I already had, and hung the brackets and shelf flush with the tile surround.

So the 2 brackets cost $8 together, plus the $5 board, equals a shnazzy $13 mantle!

Here's the after:

I think it turned out loverly, don't you? All I need now are some candles for those (one dollar each!) thrift store candle sticks!

Check out everyone else's awesome DIY projects at DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land!

12 comments:

{oc cottage} August 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

Looks great!!! That's pretty much what my fireplace used to look like too.

m ^..^

Pam @ This Humble House August 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM  

Well, that looks really nice! Smart!

Delightful Dwelling August 13, 2009 at 5:45 AM  

It looks wonderful and you can't beat the price!

The Robinsons August 13, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

It looks great, Liz! I hope you are doing well! Morgan and I miss you and William!

Nicole August 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM  

Next time you come to my house I will give you some candles.

Connie August 13, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

Very smart solution, especially for a rental. I would have to agree, the fireplace before: boring, after: fabulous.

Unknown August 13, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Fantastic transformation! It really does have a huge impact

Unknown August 14, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

Perfect. What use is a fireplace without a mantle. I love this idea. You will have so much fun decorating through the seasons. Very clever!!

McNew Family August 15, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

Great idea - great job - great price! Well done.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP