FINALLY: Our *New* Entertainment Center

>> Monday, February 1, 2010

In case you missed my post several months ago about needing an entertainment center because we didn't bring our old one with us when we moved here in July, let me just show you what we used for the first few months of living in this apartment:


Pretty sad, right? "But where could you possibly be storing all of your movies and games when you've got such a {cough} sleek and streamlined entertainment center?"

In/on/around/exploding out of the wet bar. Of course!


Folks, I was desperate. You've seen the pictures above, so I'm sure you can understand why. Well, in my desperation, I jumped on the chance to buy this beastly old dresser from the Salvation Army on sale for $40.


I know you want a closer look at those Star Trek-ian handles. Here you go.
We bought the dresser in September, if I recall correctly. I finally finished it around the first week in January. Not really sure why I always drag projects on for so long... but finally! It's done! It is by no means perfect, but hello. Can you say "one thousand times better than what we had before"?? I can.

What do you think? I still look at it once and a while and wonder if other people will think it's weird that we're using a dresser as an entertainment center. But really, it's quite practical...it holds the TV and stores all of our movies, hubby's video games, as well as board games and puzzles.

And because I enjoy looking at people's after photos and seeing how beautifully staged and accessorized everyone's homes are, I will point out my Kimba-esque vase of Hobby Lobby flowers. On the other, much less glamorous side....an Xbox 360, Playstaion 2, and the Wii. Because my husband...well. I love him. And for those of you who can relate to the whole video game-loving husband thing... Here's a little treat for my kindred spirits:



I really hope that I didn't offend anyone with that video... I think it's pretty dang funny.

Anyway...back to the subject at hand...TA DA!!


Have you ever used a piece of furniture for something other than what it was intended for?

DIY Day @ ASPTL


15 comments:

Caroline February 2, 2010 at 6:48 AM  

It looks great! Aren't you so glad it's done? I love the handles. I need to order mine for my kitchen. And some for the boys dresser too. *sigh* The projects never end, do they?

Heidi February 2, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

Hi Elizabeth,
The dresser/entertainment center looks fantastic. I used to use an old Eastlake dresser in the same way, now it stores my linens in the dining room! So, yes, I do repurpose furniture - all the time.
I've picked up a big old oak entertainment center from GW that I'm turning into book shelves - I was thinking of painting it dark like that, I'd love to know what color you used.It really looks good!
Have a great day. I'd love for you to stop by sometime!
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Heidi February 2, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

PS. Loved the video! Thanks for the laugh!
Heidi

Unknown February 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM  

I'm using a small tv cart (with wheels) as an end table (turned sideways between two chairs). I've also stored socks in a nightstand/beside table w/drawers in the past. Use it however it works for you! =) Looks great with the new hardware and I'm sure the organized storage is a mega plus!

Katherine @ Grass Stains February 2, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

I love it! I love the black, I love all the storage, it's perfect. We have three boys 7 and under, and I would LOVE to have that much storage under my TV. Great job!

alyssa February 2, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

I LOVE the dresser, it looks great and that is such a great idea for an entertainment center! I think we may do something like that when we move. We're trying to figure out exactly what we need to bring and what we can leave here.

I love that you put that video on here. Isn't it hilarious?? I'm sure lots of women can relate to it :)

Anonymous February 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

The dresser looks great - but WOW, those original handles kinda scare me a little bit! As for your question about using a piece of furniture for other purposes - I have found a way to use thrift store dressers for just about everything, that is my favorite "generic" piece :)

Madame Coin February 3, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

It's gorgeous! I think you're amazing for taking on projects like this and finishing them, even if you don't do it the second you get the item home.

Congrats on getting into med school! ( You did, right? I'm not misinformed? )

Serene is my name, not my life! February 3, 2010 at 5:44 PM  

Wow! That looks amazing!! I've never tried something that this before. I'm too chicken.
But it really does look nice!

Fawn February 4, 2010 at 11:42 AM  

I don't know, I kind of liked the chair.... seriously, you did a FAB job! Love the storage possibilities with that!

kira February 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

I think it looks great and not weird at all. In fact, my in-law's entertainment center is kind of like a dresser, with lots of drawers. Right now we're using a coffee table as an entertainment center--does that count? I love the dresser used as something else idea.

Kirsten and Tracy February 5, 2010 at 5:35 PM  

I love the before and after!! And I totally and absolutely LOVE the idea of using a dresser as an entertainment center! My 8 month old just discovered our entertainment center, and so want something to contain everything better. I might have to *borrow* your idea!
Kirsten

Tarmy February 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM  

wow! that looks fantastic!

demotutorial August 11, 2010 at 1:34 AM  

I think you did a great job with this one. It's lovely. I have always liked furniture in black finish. I say it's a million times better than the chair. television armoire

Kim @ This Belle Rocks December 11, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

I bought a gorgeous mid-century modern dresser a while back that I will be using as an entertainment center. I will be repainting it, for sure, but I am going to (somehow) turn the top two drawers of mine into shelves and use the drawer fronts as doors. I don't know how yet, but it's going to happen....one of these days!

Thanks for the inspiration! I got here by a Google search on turning a dresser into a tv stand...

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP