Dining room curtain sneak peek!

>> Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I finished the curtains for the sliding door in the dining room, and I know you're all just dying to see what they look like. Or you can humor me and pretend like you are at least!

I bought a pair of khaki chino curtains at Walmart for $16, and they were a little small, so I worked up a plan to add on to them. I won't show you the WHOLE picture, until I do the entire dining room reveal (hopefully in a week), but here's a little peek to whet your appetite!


P.S. You have no idea how hard it was to find black grosgrain ribbon for this project. Seriously. I went to 4 different stores, and ended up with black twill tape instead. I am pleased with the result, but seriously? I don't live in a small town, you'd think they'd have that kind of basic crafting supply in stock. I guess it's just too popular, kind of like me (JUST KIDDING!).

And if you made it this far without giving up, I'm going to share another story with you. So, Hobby Lobby was stop #2 on the search for ribbon. I love this store, and it's just down the street from my house! {When we moved to our new apartment, I told my husband I was going to be fine, because I knew how to get to Walmart and Hobby Lobby.}

Anyway, turns out they only have black grosgrain ribbon for sale by the yard, and not by the spool. Let's do some math. I needed about 7 yards. It sells for $0.83/yard. I just "guesstimated" that would put me somewhere in the vicinity of $6-ish dollars. Maybe $5 (okay, you caught me, we're not really doing math!). Anywho, the grosgrain ribbon by the spool is 7 yards and normally sells for $4, but was on sale for $2 a spool.

I thought they might just have run out of black by the spool, but I asked the fabric lady and she said since they sell it by the yard they don't sell it by the spool. Yeeeeeaaah....so, I'm supposed to pay 3 times as much for it because you can't give me an entire spool to take home? I'm not sure if I was feeling cheap, cheated, or if my pride was wounded, but I told the lady I'd just have to buy it somewhere else. (I never say things like that to sales people!)

Well, a lot of good that did me. Two stores later I was leaving with 5/8" twill tape instead of 7/8" grosgrain. But like I said, I still think it looks good, and may have even been easier to work with, so it all turned out just fine.

But really, when did it become so hard to find black ribbon??


Oh, and just for funsies, another sneak peek:


That's right, I sanded the table last night, and will be priming it during Bitty's naps today!

1 comments:

Caroline September 10, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

Love the green hands! I guess that's better than the dark brown from my chairs :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP