I might be crazy....

>> Tuesday, September 22, 2009


{Edited to add: I'm submitting this project as my Procrastinator Party entry at the Inspired Room. I know I posted this originally before the party...but in true procrastinator style, the project has hardly been touched since the original post date.. And the icing on the cake is that even procrastinated linking my post up. OOPS!}

Here's the story. We moved into our apartment on July 29th. We didn't bring our old entertainment center with us, because, well, it was an ugly piece of junk. We gave it back to the thrift store where it came from. Ever since then, this has been our entertainment center.

Yes. That is a {thrift store} dining room chair. With our tv on top, and video games (ah, husbands...) and a jumble of cords underneath. Pretty gangster, right? I haven't been able to find anything we wanted for an entertainment center within our budget yet. First I was looking at armiores, but my husband wasn't loving that idea... And unless we shelled out the money for one with the doors that slide back or wrap around they'd be hanging open all the time. Really. I used to complain about how much tv my husband watches, but now that we have TLC and HGTV, I'm almost just as bad. Almost.

So, I got to thinking maybe we should make a cabinet with 3 or 4 doors where we can keep everything out of sight, except for the tv. Because we SO need some storage for games and movies, etc. Just look at this. UGLY!


The problem with that idea is we don't really know how to make things. And we don't want to spend a ton of money, effort, and time on something that's going to look like we made it. (And I don't mean that in a good way!)

So, for a Saturday afternoon activity, we browsed the Salvation Army on the hunt for something that would work. I had thought of a dresser as a possibility before... Something that could be versatile, that we could use somewhere else as a buffet or an actual dresser in the future if we wanted.

We found something that we have since referred to as "a diamond in the very, very rough."

Allow me to introduce you to The Beast.And here's a closeup:


Aren't those the ugliest handles you have ever seen in your ENTIRE life? Not to mention the weirdest. It really is a beast. It weighs a TON and is going to take A LOT of work, but I'm hoping to end up with one of those beautiful wow! transformations, instead of failing miserably. Because that is a distinct possibility at this point. It could go either way.

But it was on sale 50% off. So for $40 we got it. We're just not at the point in our lives where we can go buy an expensive piece of furniture, ya know? I'm imagining beadboard to cover the damage on the sides, but I don't know if I'm that good! This is uncharted territory people! Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Janae' September 22, 2009 at 8:49 AM  

If anyone can make it a treasure. It will be you! Good luck! I'l be watching for an "after" photo!

Elizabeth September 22, 2009 at 3:06 PM  

Thanks for the encouragement Janae!

Jane September 22, 2009 at 5:34 PM  

I have seen a lot of kitchens recently where they used bead board wallpaper to cover the sides. It's paintable and apparently fairly durable. That might be an option. No matter how you do it, the beast with it's Star Trec handles was a good investment. Heavy wood furniture usually is.

Caroline September 22, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

It will look great! Slap on some black, roughed up paint and some hobby lobby knobs. :)

Ali Mae September 23, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

Yes to the beadboard wallpaper--I would even maybe use it on the two middle drawers for some more texture there.

Mel September 30, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

I can't wait to see what it looks like after you're done working your magic!!! I love this blog Elizabeth!!!

Jess October 9, 2009 at 6:13 AM  

Great find! You can turn that beast into a real beauty! I can't wait to see what you do with it. It reminds me of one my mom has in her basement...now you have me thinking!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP